When An Asteroid Hits Earth – level 3
A network that listens for nuclear weapons detonations detected 26 major explosions on Earth between 2000 and 2013. Nuclear weapons caused none of them, but asteroid strikes caused all of them.
California-based B612 Foundation released a visualization of what it would look like if a city-destroying asteroid hit the planet Earth. The chance of an asteroid striking our planet is in fact higher than scientists previously believed.
There is already a NASA program in place that tracks asteroids larger than 1 kilometer. An object of this size would have global consequences if it struck the Earth.
Difficult words: consequence (something that happens as a result of something else).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What is the B612 Foundation's vision for asteroid protection?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.