When women run the economy – level 2
Many women have top jobs in the biggest economic institutions in the world, and it can be a very important change from the situation ten years ago.
In the US, women have top jobs in President Biden’s government. Almost 48% of officials in Biden’s government are women, and it can have a big impact on people’s lives. Women in top jobs seem to care more about how people really live and not only about numbers.
Outside the US, the situation is changing, too, and more women have top jobs in important global institutions. These institutions are, for example, the European Central Bank or the World Trade Organization.
The last global crisis had a big impact on women, who are 39% of all working people. 54% of people who lost jobs during the crisis were women. Women finance ministers and leaders bring more hope to all working women.
Difficult words: top job (the most important position in a company), economic institution (banks and other companies which deal with money), finance minister (the person in a government who cares about the country’s money).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos