When women run the economy – level 3
Women hold many top jobs in the world´s largest economy and major global economic institutions.
In the US, Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen, Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo, and Trade Czar Katherine Tai hold top jobs in President Biden´s administration. Nearly 48% of Biden´s confirmed cabinet-level officials are women, and this change may be already affecting economic policy by shifting the focus to people instead of numbers.
Outside the US, there´s Christine Lagarde at the helm of the European Central Bank, Kristalina Georgieva heads up the International Monetary Fund, and Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala runs the World Trade Organization, although all these jobs were held by men only a decade ago.
Women run finance ministries in 16 countries, and 14 of the world´s central banks. The stakes are high as the global recession has been referred to as a ´she-session´ because of how hard it has hit women. Women comprise 39% of the global workforce; however, they account for 54% of overall job losses.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.