White humpback whale – level 1
This news is from Australia. People see a whale. It is a white humpback whale. It swims in the ocean, and people watch it. The whale does not mind the people.
Up to 5,000 humpback whales migrate every year. They move from the Antarctic to warm waters. There, they eat and have babies.
Difficult words: humpback whale (a type of whale), mind (if you mind something, you do not like; it makes you feel bad), migrate (to move a long way).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Have you ever seen a whale?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.