White humpback whale – level 3
A white humpback whale has been spotted off Australia’s Gold Coast. Authorities believe that it may have been a white whale called Migaloo, one of three white whales that live in waters in the state of Queensland, but that has not been confirmed.
The white humpback delighted hundreds of whale watchers who paid charter boats to watch it leisurely swim in the waters. Unfazed by its audience, the huge animal came up to the surface, delighting onlookers.
Up to 5,000 humpbacks migrate north up Australia’s east coast between April and August each year from feeding grounds in the Antarctic to feed and breed in warm, tropical waters.
Difficult words: spot (to see quickly), delight (please), charter (hired), leisurely (in a relaxed way), unfazed (not worried), huge (very big).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.