White tiger kills a man – level 3
A male student was killed by a white tiger at New Delhi zoo on Tuesday, after jumping into the enclosure.
The student has been identified as Maqsood and it’s been reported that he was 19 or 20 years old, although local media has said that he appeared to be a teenager.
Once inside the enclosure Maqsood was quickly cornered by the animal.
The tiger reportedly spent fifteen to twenty minutes staring at the student and pawing him occasionally, while onlookers shouted at the animal to try and get him to move away, before suddenly it grabbed Maqsood by the neck and dragged him to the other side of the enclosure.
Maqsood’s father blamed the zoo for his son’s death.
“It is the fault of the zoo officials as they could not stop my son from jumping. If they had stopped my son once and then also he went back there, they should have stopped him again. If they have kept such dangerous animals then they should keep a guard outside the enclosure.”
Officials from the zoo said that Maqsood jumped inside the animal’s enclosure despite being warned against it by security guards.
Difficult words: enclosure (closed area for an animal), corner (to prevent someone from being able to get away), reportedly (according to what people say), stare (look fixedly at something), paw (hit with a paw which is an animal’s foot), drag (pull).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.