Who owns AI art? – level 3
New York-based artist Kris Kashtanova created an 18-page comic book ‘Zarya of the Dawn’ with the help of the AI program Midjourney.
She received a copyright for the comic in September 2022 but five months later, the US Copyright Office reversed itself saying the images in Zarya weren’t the product of human authorship. The case has ignited the debate about who owns AI-generated artwork and whether artwork needs to be created by a human being.
Intellectual property and copyright are ways how people control and profit from creativity. Anyone who engages in creative expression usually has immediate legal rights to it; however, courts have long held that the author has to be a human being and that AI tools so far don’t demonstrate the necessary amount of originality and human work.
Artists and companies that own creative content oppose copyright protection for AI artwork saying that the algorithms work by training themselves on vast quantities of material on the open web, some of which is already copyrighted.
Difficult words: copyright (the legal right to print, publish, perform, or record an artistic material), authorship (when someone is the person who wrote a particular book article, play, and so on), intellectual property (creations of human intellect).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What implications does this case have for the ownership of AI-generated artwork?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.