Who will buy Manchester United – level 3
English football club Manchester United is in talks to sell itself for over $6 billion to a consortium led by Qatar’s Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad al-Thani.
The Glazer family, who currently own minority stakes in the club, would sell their shares as part of the deal. The family made its fortune in real estate, retail and healthcare, and it bought the team for 1 billion dollars in 2005. However, the club has seen a decline in its performance under the Glazer family’s ownership, with its last top-flight title won in 2012-13. The Qatari offer is being preferred over a bid from British billionaire Jim Ratcliffe. If the deal proceeds, a sale for more than 6 billion dollars would be one of the largest ever in the sports world. Manchester United’s value would be over 10 times its annual revenue.
While some fans see new ownership as an opportunity for improvement, others are concerned about Qatar’s human rights record.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What impact do you think the sale of Manchester United to Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad al-Thani and his Qatar consortium would have on the club's fans and its performance?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.