Why Knut died – level 1
Knut was a polar bear. He was very famous. He lived at the Berlin Zoo. He was four when he died. He fell into his pool.
Why did he fall into the pool? He was sick. His brain was swollen. People did not know why his brain was swollen.
Now, experts do some tests. They test Knut’s brain. Now they know that Knut had “anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis”.
This is not a normal disease. Every year, only 200,000 people have this disease. Knut is the first animal that had it.
Difficult words: was (past of “is”), fell (past of “fall”), swollen (to become big and painful).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about what happened to Knut?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.