Why New Year’s resolutions don’t work – level 1
A New Year’s resolution is a promise which you make to yourself. You say that you will start doing something good or stop doing something bad on 1 January.
Many people have problems with New Year’s resolutions. They often fail. Professor Scot Lear says that our goals must be SMART – Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Timely. An example is exercising three times a week for 30 minutes for three months. If there are problems, it is okay. Things are not always as we want.
Scot says that we must be kind to ourselves, learn from our mistakes, and not stop.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
"What advice does Professor Scot Lear offer for setting and achieving New Year's resolutions?"
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.