Wife Carrying Competition – level 1
This news is about a competition. Men carry their wives in this competition. They must carry them through obstacles. An example of an obstacle is dirty water.
Forty-four couples compete. A couple wins. The couple’s time is one minute. The husband and wife win beer and money. The money comes in cash. The money is 5 times heavier than the wife. It is $655.
Difficult words: competition (a sports event), obstacle (something which makes the competition more difficult), compete (be in a competition and try to win).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.