Wife Carrying Competition – level 3
Forty-four couples competed in the 17th annual wife carrying competition in New England, crossing hurdles and battling with the elements on the 278-obstacle course.
People crowned the winning couple the champions with the time of 59.18 seconds. The couple received eleven cases of beer and five times the wife’s weight in cash, which came to a healthy $655. The couple also qualified to compete in the world championship in Finland.
Difficult words: annual (happening every year), hurdle (a thing over which you must jump), battle (fight), the elements (the weather), obstacle (a barrier, something like a hurdle), course (a route), healthy (a large amount).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos