Wildfire in Chile – level 3
Having consumed nearly 1.2 million acres in over 130 separate fires, wildfires continue to rage in Chile. Strong winds have been spreading the flames.
Firefighters have been battling the wildfires for over two weeks and several firefighters are thought to be dead. Around 7,000 people lost their homes and more are being evacuated. It is not yet clear what sparked the fires, but arson has not been ruled out.
Colombia, France and Mexico sent representatives from their fire departments to assist the burning country.
Difficult words: rage (be destructive), spark (start quickly), arson (setting something on fire).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.