Wildfires in California – level 3
In California, wildfires are raging again and strong winds and dry forests mean that the flames spread over 177 kilometres and destroy thousands of buildings.
Around 250,000 people have been forced to flee and at least nine people died – five of them found dead in burned-out vehicles after attempting to flee.
Hollywood stars are included in those who have lost their homes due to the blazes and the city of Malibu has been entirely evacuated. A town called Paradise of 30,000 residents has been completely destroyed.
Difficult words: rage (continue to exist with great force), flee (get away, run away), attempt (try), due to (because of), blaze (a very large fire), resident (a person who resides – lives somewhere).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos