William and Kate cancel a trip to a Belize village – level 3
Protests by local residents have forced the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to cancel a trip to a Belize village; the trip was going to start their Caribbean tour visit.
William and Kate expected to visit the Akte’il Ha cacao farm in Indian Creek on the first day. However, their office canceled the trip on Friday.
The couple will start a tour of Belize, Jamaica, and the Bahamas, and many people see the tour to attempt to support the monarchy and to persuade other nations to avoid following Barbados and become a republic.
The Belize landing site for the couple’s helicopter was a local football pitch. The site caused tension between the citizens and the government, and the citizens claimed they hadn’t been consulted. The leader of the Indian Creek Village said residents didn’t want William and Kate to land there. A Kensington Palace spokesperson confirmed that the visit had moved to a different location.
Difficult words: tour visit (traveling around from place to place), monarchy (a form of government to have a king or queen), consult (to discuss).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos