Wimbledon bans Russian and Belarusian tennis players – level 1
Wimbledon is a tennis competition. It takes place in London, UK. It is two weeks long. Russian and Belarusian tennis players can’t be at Wimbledon this year.
Wimbledon organizers say that Russia cannot benefit from the event. Russia attacks Ukraine two months ago. They say there is no reason for the attack. Many sporting events ban Russian and Belarusian athletes.
Daniel Medvedev is the second best tennis player in the world. He is Russian. He can’t play at Wimbledon.
Other tennis players also can’t play. They are Andrey Rublev of Russia and Aryna Sabalenka and Victoria Azarenka of Belarus.
Difficult words: competition (an event in which someone tries to win or be better than the others), benefit (to get help or something good from a situation), ban (to officially stop something from happening).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.