Window washer falls down – level 3
A San Francisco window washer fell eleven storeys from a high-rise building on Friday November 21st, landing on top of a moving car on the street below.
The worker, who was not immediately identified, plummeted from the office building landing on a Toyota, and was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries, according to local police.
The incident occurred at around 10 am in the city’s Financial District. The victim was rushed to San Francisco General Hospital and was in surgery at last report. The Toyota sole occupant but was shaken up emotionally, but was fortunately not injured, police said, though the car was badly damaged. The incident will be investigated by California’s Occupational Safety officials as an industrial accident.
Difficult words: storey (floor), high-rise (tall), identify (tell who someone is), plummet (fall down), rush (move quickly), sole (one and only), occupant (person who is somewhere), occupational (relating to a job or profession), industrial accident (when something bad happens in a job relating to building or maintaining things).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.