Windrush Day – level 3
Last week, Britain marked 75 years since the very first ship arrived from the Caribbean at Tilbury Docks in Essex.
On board HMT Empire Windrush were hundreds of migrants who came to Britain on the 22nd of June 1948 to help rebuild the country after the Second World War. Many more Caribbean people would follow in the subsequent years, and they added significantly to modern British culture.
There was dancing, singing, and celebration at services in Windsor, Southwark Cathedral, and London Waterloo Station. King Charles recognized the immeasurable difference made by the Windrush generation.
However, there was also anger and hurt. This year marks five years since the Windrush scandal which left thousands facing detention and deportation despite having every right to live in the UK.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What impact has the Windrush generation had on Britain's culture and identity in the past decades?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.