Wingsuit competition – level 3
This is the bird’s-eye view of what it’s like to fly 7.5 thousand feet (2.3 kilometres) above ground level. The Red Bull Aces wingsuit competition returned for the second time after last years’s success. To win the contest, four flyer heats race through a slalom course of 112-foot (34 metres) pylons hanging from helicopters.
And it was Andy Farrington who weaved his way to beat the 40 other competitors to be crowned winner. In an exhilarating display, the American defended his title from last year’s competition, winning in only a 4/10 of a second margin.
With speeds of up to 160 miles per hour (257 kph), this sport is certainly not for the faint-hearted.
Difficult words: bird’s-eye view (a view from above), heat (one round in a race), pylon (a tower or post which marks the way), weave (to move in a complex way), exhilarating (making you feel excited, happy or thrilled), margin (a small amount by which something is won), faint-hearted (without courage).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.