Winnie Madikizela-Mandela Dies – level 2
The past wife of Nelson Mandela, Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, worked throughout her life on fighting apartheid.
She died on April 2nd and the government buried her as a national hero of South Africa. Her funeral happened at a full stadium with thousands of mourners coming to bid farewell to her.
One woman said that South Africans were mourning the death of their ‘mother’ and also celebrating her life. She also said that Mandela was now with all of her people.
Difficult words: apartheid (a South African law that lasted until the 1990s and that did not give Africans equal rights), national hero (when the government of a country recognises someone for what he or she did for the country), mourner (a person who is expressing feelings over someone dying), bid farewell (say goodbye).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos