Witch at Hospital – level 3
Italy’s legendary Befana, the gift-giving witch, paid a spectacular visit to children at the Taranto hospital on Wednesday.
Befana is a popular figure from Italian folklore, and she delivers gifts and sweets to children throughout Italy on Epiphany Eve which is the night of January 5. The custom is very similar to that of Santa Claus on Christmas.
The woman named Donatella is a member of the Italian Alpine Rescue team, and she decided to bring some cheer to the sick children. She dangled from a cable that is normally used for cave rescuers, and she waved as children and pediatric ward watched and cheered.
Difficult words: folklore (the traditional beliefs and customs of a community), dangle (to hang loosely), pediatric ward (the hospital staff who take care of children).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos