Woman Astronaut – level 2
A US astronaut, Christina Koch, spent 328 days at the International Space Station. It was the longest stay in space for a woman.
NASA planned that Koch would stay in space six months; however, the agency decided to make her mission longer. It was a good chance to study the effects of a long stay in space on a woman’s body. This was very useful for future NASA missions to the moon and Mars.
Koch did 6 space walks, and she helped with more than 100 experiments. She studied how plants grow in space, and she could eat them, too. She did some experiments that studied if people are able to live outside Earth.
Difficult words: NASA (the US agency that is responsible for space travel), mission (when a person travels far away and does an important job), effect (the result of something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos