Woman Dies From a Scratch – level 2
This news is about a woman from England. She was working in her garden when she scratched her hand. Not long after the scratch, she noticed pain in her shoulder.
She visited her doctor, but the doctor did not think that the scratch had anything to do with the pain. The doctor only gave her pain killers and sent her to a physiotherapist.
However, the woman and mother of two got worse. She went to hospital where doctors took her blood for tests. They found out that she was suffering from sepsis. The woman died two days later.
There are more than 150,000 cases of sepsis in the UK each year. Forty-four thousand people die from it.
Difficult words: physiotherapist (a person who helps your body by massage and exercise, for example), sepsis (when there are bacteria in your body typically, from a cut or scratch).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos