Woman drives into a river – level 3
A woman has been rescued after she accidentally drove her car into a river.
CCTV footage in east China’s Xiangshan County caught this dramatic moment on camera when the female driver lost control of her car, suddenly swerved to the left, and dove right into a roadside river.
She even knocked down a lamppost in the process, but luckily witnesses came to the rescue straight away.
One man said the car had been in the water for 10 minutes before they were able to save her, but luckily a good quick-thinking Good Samaritan used a jumper as a rope to pull her out just seconds before the car disappeared under water.
The woman had climbed out of the passenger window and it took a team of volunteer rescuers about 20 minutes to get her out of the river. The vehicle was later retrieved by a crane and the woman walked away without a scratch.
Difficult words: CCTV footage (security camera video), dramatic (exciting), swerve (to change direction quickly), Good Samaritan (a helpful person), volunteer (a person who does something because he wants to, not because he is paid to do it), retrieve (to get), crane (a large, tall machine which can move heavy objects), without a scratch (with no injuries or problems).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.