Woman helps dogs – level 3
The hope for these dogs is that they’ll be adopted. This dog shelter cares for dogs who are partially paralysed after being hit by cars. The Milagros Perrunos dog shelter in Peru has helped pups who were literally on their last legs. Now they’re wheeling around and playing again.
Sarah Moran doesn’t make any profit from running the shelter and relies on donations to pay for food, toys and wheelchairs. She says she’d like to do more, but the budget‘s really small, so they can’t help any more.
Six of the dogs are in wheelchairs and three have had a leg amputated. With 50 dogs in the shelter, it may take a while for each of them to find a new home.
Difficult words: dog shelter (a safe place for dogs who need help), literally (exactly), on their last legs (this is a pun – the dogs had no legs and the dogs were in a bad state), profit (the money that you make), donation (the money which is given by people who want to help), budget (the amount of money available), amputate (to cut off).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.