Woman is free after 10 years – level 3
A woman who was kidnapped 10 years ago and forced to marry her captor has been found in California.
The woman, who has not been named, was just 15 when she disappeared and was reported missing in August 2004 near southeast Los Angeles.
She contacted police on Tuesday and told detectives she was taken from her home by her then boyfriend Isidro Garcia who drugged her and locked her in a garage. Over the last decade, she was forced to marry him and have their child.
“My understanding is there were continued and repeated sexual assaults. On two occasions, she tried to escape. He caught her. He beat her for her efforts.”
Police have since arrested 41-year-old Garcia on suspicion of kidnapping, rape, child abuse and false imprisonment.
Difficult words: captor (somebody who is keeping another person prisoner), assault (attack), rape (to force somebody to have sex), child abuse (hurt a child).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.