Woman Is Free – level 2
Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe is a 42-year-old British-Iranian woman who traveled to Iran with her daughter to visit her parents. In 2016, police arrested them at the airport when they were on their way back to the UK.
An Iranian court said that Zaghari-Ratcliffe was a spy and that she was dangerous for the government. The court sent Zaghari-Ratcliffe to prison for five years. British officials wanted to help the woman, but it made the situation worse. Zaghari-Ratcliffe went on a hunger strike and there were protests before the Iranian Embassy in London. Nothing helped and the woman stayed in prison.
Zaghari-Ratcliffe left prison last week but she must go to court again. There are more charges against her, but her husband and daughter believe that she will return home soon.
Difficult words: spy (a person who works secretly and to get some information about somebody or something), hunger strike (when somebody stops eating because he does not agree with something bad), charge (when police formally say that somebody did something wrong).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.