Woman Saves Dogs – level 2
A Chinese pensioner, who was a teacher, is now China’s well-known animal rights activist. Over the past twenty years, she has saved thousands of dogs from the slaughterhouses and the streets.
At her home, she takes care of many dogs who eat 200 kilograms of food every day. To feed the dogs, she sold her house and is in debt of 800,000 yuan. She has many supporters, but people from her town do not like her. They say that eating dogs is normal; it is a Chinese tradition.
The old woman and her helpers buy many dogs to save them from being eaten. Some people take advantage of this – they want to sell dogs to her or her helpers to make money.
Difficult words: pensioner (a person who does not work anymore), slaughterhouse (a place where animals are killed to make meat), debt (if you are in debt, you have someone’s money; in time, you must give back the money), take advantage (to use a situation to help yourself get something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Is it OK or not OK to eat dogs? What do you think?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos