Woman Saves Dogs – level 3
Pensioner Yang Xiaoyun has gone from school teacher to one of China’s most well-known and controversial animal rights activists.
Over the past two decades, Yang saved thousands of dogs from the slaughterhouse and the streets and continues to raise some of them in her home.
The former teacher is just one of many members of China’s growing middle class that now are beginning to fight what they see as a barbaric abuse of man’s best friend. The woman’s neighbours, however, gave her a frosty reception, as they fiercely support what they see as a cultural tradition no different to consuming turkeys at Thanksgiving in America.
The woman wakes up early in the morning to take care of hundreds of stray cats and dogs. With buying 200 kilogrammes of food needed every day to feed the animals, she sold her home, re-mortgaged her son’s home, and is in an 800,000-yuan worth of debt (119,906 dollars).
Some within animal rights circles worry that by buying up dogs en masse, Yang is simply encouraging more people, be it lazy dog owners or dog snatchers, to sell their animals to activists. One day when she visited a dog market, many there said they had come with the explicit hope of selling their dogs to Yang and her helpers.
Difficult words: former (-ex), barbaric (violent), man’s best friend (a dog), frosty (unfriendly), stray (homeless), re-mortgage (to transfer as a security on a loan), en masse (in a group), explicit (clear).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
Is it OK or not OK to eat dogs? What do you think?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.