Women Can Vote – level 2
In the past, women around the world could not vote. In many countries around the world, it took many decades to change that.
In the US, people started to protest against slavery in the 1840s. Black and white people did not have the same rights. However, some women could see that men and women did not have the same rights, too. Women started to meet and protest.
However, the change was very slow, and many people did not agree with it. US president, Woodrow Wilson, did not want to give women the right to vote. However, he changed his mind after World War I. The law changed in 1920, and more than 8 million women came to vote in the same year.
In 2016, 74 million came to vote for the US president, and it is interesting to see that more women came to vote than men.
Difficult words: decade (ten years), slavery (when Black people must work for white people and they do not get any money for it), right (what people can do).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos