Women drive buses in Colombia – level 2
La Rolita is a Colombian electric bus fleet run by women and it is changing public transit in the capital city of Bogotá.
The company employs many single mothers who want to do their job as best as they can. Bogotá wants to reduce emissions by 50% by 2030 and achieve carbon neutrality by 2050. The company plans to take over the public cable car operations and develop a new plan for electric school buses. Some private operators didn’t agree with what the company was doing. But La Rolita could start operating and now, it provides social security and pension benefits for its employees.
Drivers get a monthly salary of 376 dollars, and the company plans to build an on-site daycare center for its employees.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
How has La Rolita's operations improved the public transit system in Bogotá?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.