Women drive buses in Colombia – level 3
La Rolita, a women-led electric bus fleet, is transforming public transit in Bogotá, Colombia.
The company employs 48% women drivers, many of whom are single mothers, who bring their sensitivity and caregiving experience to provide better service. La Rolita’s focus on electric mobility aligns with the city’s commitment to combat climate change, reduce emissions by 50% by 2030 and achieve carbon neutrality by 2050. The fleet plans to take over operations of the city’s public cable car and develop a pilot plan for electric school buses.
Despite some private operators challenging La Rolita’s launch in court, the company was allowed to start operating and provides social security and pension benefits for its employees. The drivers are paid 376 dollars monthly, and the company aims to build an on-site daycare center for its employees.
Difficult words: align (to come together in agreement), challenge (to dispute or bother).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
How does La Rolita's focus on electric mobility align with Bogotá's commitment to combat climate change?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos