Women Enter Hindu Temple – level 2
In September, a court in India stopped a rule which said that women of menstruating age (10 to 50 years old) could not enter temples. In the Hindu religion, women who menstruate are not clean and they cannot be part of religious rituals.
Some people said that the court attacked the religion when it changed this rule.
After the change of the rule, many women tried to enter one big temple, but protesters blocked them. However, two 40-year old women entered the temple with two police officers who protected them.
In one town, women made a 400-mile wall from their bodies. They protested against discrimination.
Difficult words: court (a house where a judge is), menstruate (this happens each month when blood goes out of a woman’s body if she is not pregnant), religious ritual (a tradition which you do for a religion), enter (go inside), discrimination (when your situation is more difficult because you are a man or a woman).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.