Women in Saudi Arabia – level 2
In Saudi Arabia, women are treated as minors, which means that they cannot do everything that men can do.
Every woman in Saudi Arabia has a male guardian who tells her what she can and cannot do. For example, Saudi women cannot get a job without asking their guardians.
However, the country is changing, and some Saudis want to change the guardianship laws and some do not. The Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman said that he is trying to find a middle ground between these two groups.
New laws are going to give more freedom to women. For example, women older than 21 will be allowed to travel outside the country without telling their guardians.
Difficult words: treat (think of as, act towards women like they are minors), minor (a young person who cannot do everything and must ask their parents to do some things), guardian (a husband, father or brother who says what the woman can or cannot do).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.