Women make land safe – level 3
Islamic State is laying improvised explosive devices (IEDs) in northern Iraq, killing people and preventing local farmers from cultivating their land.
Asmaa Khalil leads a team of five women who thoroughly clear IEDs from one patch of land at a time. Khalil said that at the beginning, it was scary to work with mines and IEDs. However, after a month or two of training and working in fields, Khalil got some experience, and the work became easier.
The team faced other difficulties, too. Iraqi society didn’t accept women working in a military field, and the women had to follow military rules. Therefore, the team couldn’t tell anyone that they were working in the field.
Difficult words: improvised (made without preparation or a plan), mine (a type of bomb that explodes when a person or vehicle touches it), field (a flat space of land; a type of work).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos