Women must cover faces again – level 1
In 1996 to 2001, the Taliban is in power in Afghanistan. Women must cover their faces outside of the home.
Now, the Taliban orders women to cover their faces again. Many people are angry. Many women in big cities don’t cover their faces. Some women cover their faces because of religion.
Afghan women have more rules from the Taliban. A woman must be outside with a man. Her father or the closest man in her family can get in trouble if she doesn’t follow the rule. He can go to prison or lose a job.
The Taliban closes high schools for girls. Many people say that this rule is against women’s rights.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.