Women must cover faces again – level 2
The Taliban ruled in Afghanistan between 1996 and 2001, and during this time, women had to cover their faces in public. Last week, the Taliban government ordered women to cover their faces again.
This new rule made many people angry in Afghanistan and in other countries, too. If a women doesn’t cover her face, her father or closest male relative can go to prison or lose his job.
Most women in Afghanistan cover their faces for religious reasons, but in big cities like Kabul, many women don’t cover them. Many people say that the new rule stops women’s rights.
The Taliban also introduced a rule that woman must be outside with a man. People were also angry when the Taliban closed some high schools for girls.
Difficult words: rule (to have power; an instruction which says what people can or can’t do), male (a man), right (the things a person can do).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos