Women’s rights in Poland – level 2
In 2021, a young woman came to a hospital in eastern Poland for an abortion because her baby had a serious health problem. The doctors didn’t do the abortion because they were afraid of breaking the law.
This woman’s story is an example of changes in women’s rights in Poland during the eight years since the nationalist Law and Justice (PiS) party started to lead the country. The woman got an abortion somewhere else later, with help from activists. Her situation is very important because it connects with many people before an election on Sunday. Women’s rights are the most important topic in this election.
There are a lot of female voters who don’t know yet who to vote for. The opposition believes that if they can get these women to vote for them, it could change the result of the election.
Difficult words: abortion (ending a woman’s pregnancy), activist (a person who actively works to change a law or situation), opposition (a political party which has different ideas than the main party).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think is the most important factor when deciding who to vote for in Sunday’s election?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.