Woolly rhino is found – level 2
People found the remains of a baby woolly rhino in Siberia. The 60-kilogram body of the animal was in good condition – it still had its wool, face, one eye, an ear and teeth. All of this was well-preserved.
The animal is more than 10,000 years old and people named it Sasha. Its condition was so good because permafrost preserved it. Permafrost is a type of ground which is always frozen. Russian scientists will now try to extract the animal’s DNA.
Difficult words: remains (parts of body which remain – exist for many years), woolly (having wool – a thing which covers animals like sheep), preserved (in good condition).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.