Woolly rhino is found – level 3
The remains of a baby woolly rhino, which still has its fleece, has been discovered in Siberia.
Named Sasha, the extinct creature, which is thought to be at least 10,000 years old, is the first juvenile woolly rhino to be found.
It was well-preserved by permafrost and experts are hopeful of extracting its DNA.
A local hunter found the baby woolly rhino by a stream in Russia’s largest and coldest region, Yakutia, in September.
The cub’s skull and face are quite clearly visible and an ear, one eye, its nostrils and teeth are in good condition, as well as the wool.
The remnants of two horns were also found through the carcass, which weighs about 60 kilograms and was half-gnawed.
Russian scientists will now try to extract DNA and conduct certain tests to find out the exact age of the curb and the date it died.
Difficult words: fleece (the woolly covering), extinct creature (an animal that no longer exists), juvenile (young), permafrost (ground which is always frozen), extract (to remove), stream (a small narrow river), cub (young rhino), nostril (one of the holes in the nose), remnant (something that stays), carcass (an animal’s dead body), half-gnawed (bit into two parts), conduct (to do).
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.