Work of Gunther von Hagens – level 2
A German doctor named Gunther von Hagens invented the plastination technique. This technique can preserve bodies and body parts. It replaces the water and fat with special plastics.
The doctor shocked the public when he televised an autopsy. In 2010, he opened an online shop which sells human and animal body parts. A new museum, called Body Worlds, recently opened in Berlin. It has its own collection of 20 complete bodies, many organs, bones and muscles.
If this interests you, you can actually take part! After your death, you can donate your body to this project.
Difficult words: preserve (to make something stay good and “fresh” for a long time), autopsy (when people look inside a dead body), donate (to give).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you like this?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.