Work on Big Ben – level 2
Big Ben is a famous symbol of the UK. It is 160 years old and needs to be maintained. A lot of renovation started in 2017.
In the past, people always painted the clock’s hands and numbers black. Last Thursday, people could see a big change – the hands and numbers are blue. This type of blue is called Prussian blue, and it is the original colour. The surfaces on the clock are also new and shiny.
The work will continue until 2021. The tower needs a new roof and better protection from water.
Difficult words: maintain (do work on something so that it still works well), renovation (work to restore something), shiny (new, clean and beautiful).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos