Workers Destroy Nuclear Plant – level 2
Workers exploded the cooling towers of a past nuclear plant near Karlsruhe, Germany.
A number of explosions took place on Thursday. Such events usually attract a lot of people; however, officials did not announce the date of the destruction. They were afraid that a lot of people would come, which could be dangerous during the coronavirus pandemic.
Officials closed the plant’s two reactors in 2011 and 2019. The German government wants to close all nuclear plants by 2022, and the country plans to get all energy from natural resources, such as wind energy and energy from the sun.
Workers will clear the site by 2029, and they will take away 500,000 tons of concrete and metal.
Difficult words: cooling tower (a tower that is a part of a factory, and it cools water or steam), nuclear plant (a factory that makes electricity from atomic energy), reactor (a part of a nuclear plant where a nuclear reaction happens, and it makes heat).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos