Workers Destroy Nuclear Plant – level 3
The cooling towers at the site of a former nuclear plant in southwestern Germany have been demolished.
A series of explosions took place at the Philippsburg power plant near Karlsruhe, and the timing of the demolition was kept in secret. Officials feared of potential crowds gathering at the site during the coronavirus pandemic.
The plant’s two reactors were shut down in 2011 and 2019, as a part of Germany’s efforts to transition from nuclear energy. The country’s last reactor is set to go offline at the end of 2022.
The site’s clearance is expected to take until 2029, and it will involve the removal of 500,000 tons of concrete and metal. A transformer station will be built on the site of the towers. It will help bring electricity generated from renewable resources in northern Germany to the country’s south.
Difficult words: reactor (a part of a nuclear plant where a nuclear reaction takes place), transformer station (a part of electricity distribution system that helps to transform the electrical current from high to low or from low to high), renewable resources (natural resources that have an endless supply, such as example solar or wind energy).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.