World Cup fans in space – level 3
As fans tune in from around the world to watch the World Cup 2014, there’s a few looking in from out of this world.
“We want to wish all the teams and fans on the ground in Brazil a great World Cup. Have fun and have peaceful games. May the best win.”
German astronaut Alexander Gerst will be cheering on his team from some 230 miles (370 kilometres) above Earth aboard the International Space Station, alongside astronauts Reid Wiseman and Steve Swanson from the US.
“Have fun. Play hard and we’ll be watching on the International Space Station.”
The three men have trained together for years to work as a unified crew, but now it seems they’re feeling a little friendly competition. And with just hours to go before the start of the 2014 World Cup, fans from all over the world are gathering for the fan fest on Copacabana Beach.
Host Brazil open the tournament against Croatia tonight, the outcome of which has already been predicted by “Big Head,” the all-knowing Brazilian psychic turtle. He swam to the Brazilian side of his tank, which apparently means he thinks it will be a home win.
Difficult words: tune in (to watch on TV or on the internet or listen to the radio), tank (water container), psychic (special powers of the mind).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.