World of Plastic – level 3
In 1989, developed nations adopted a plan called the Basel Convention to regulate sending their toxic waste to less developed countries.
On Friday 10th, they added a new agreement to the treaty. The agreement aims to limit pollution from plastic. There are 195 countries in the world and a total of 187 signed the new agreement and agreed to restrict plastic pollution.
One of the bigger countries which did not sign was the USA. Although the US chose not to participate, the rules still apply when the country tries to move plastic waste to any of the 187 participating countries once the rules go into effect in a year.
It has been common for companies to ship waste to less developed nations. For instance, China used to take in half of the world’s trash, but it stopped accepting a majority of it last year in an effort to curb pollution.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.