World’s Oldest Panda – level 2
In 1999, people gave a panda to Hong Kong and she lived at Ocean Park. This year, she was 38 years old. That is around 114 in human years.
The panda became ill which meant that she could not walk well, she slept a lot, and she didn’t eat or drink much. Instead of eating 10 kilograms of food a day, she ate only 3. She was dying. Her owners decided to put her down.
Pandas were endangered for many years. The biggest problem was that people were destroying their natural habitat. Luckily, the situation is getting better for pandas. People are trying to help them.
Difficult words: put down (kill an ill or hurt animal), endangered (seriously at risk of dying out), natural habitat (an animal’s natural home).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos