World War II Bomb Explodes – level 1
In September 2019, workers find a bomb in Poland. The bomb is six meters long. It weighs 5.4 tons. It has a nickname called ’Tallboy’. The British army drops the bomb on a German ship during World War II.
Workers find the bomb in a canal near the Baltic Sea. They want to make the canal deeper. The bomb is dangerous. It can explode. It is necessary to disarm the bomb. Divers want to make the bomb safe. They want to take out about 2.5 tons of chemicals from it.
About 750 people must leave the area. Cars cannot drive near the place. The bomb explodes. Nobody is hurt.
Difficult words: nickname (a funny or unusual name that somebody or something has instead of the real name), canal (a river that people make), explode (to burst or blow up), disarm (to make a bomb safe).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.