World War II Bomb Explodes – level 2
In September 2019, workers found a bomb in a Polish canal near the Baltic Sea.
The British army dropped the bomb called ’Tallboy’ on a German battleship during World War II. The bomb weighed 5.4 tons, it was six meters long, and it carried 2.5 tons of explosives.
Workers found it during works to deepen the canal. It was necessary to disarm the bomb, but it was a dangerous operation. Officials created a 2.5-kilometer security zone, and they evacuated around 750 people.
Divers had an idea to burn out the explosives in the bomb, but the bomb exploded during the operation. Officials said that nobody was hurt.
Difficult words: explosive (a material that can explode), deepen (to make something deeper), disarm (to make a bomb impossible to explode), operation (a complicated task).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos