World’s best skater can go to the Olympics – level 3
American speed skater Erin Jackson’s dream to chase Olympic gold is back for her signature 500-meter event at next month’s Beijing Olympics.
Jackson ranked number one in the world in the 500 meters event; however, she slipped during US Olympic trials in Milwaukee, and she missed out on an Olympic spot. Those prized spots went to the winner of the event, Brittany Bowe, and the second-place finisher Kimi Goetz. Jackson, who came in third, looked like she was going to miss her likely last trip to the Olympics after she went to Pyongyang, North Korea, in 2018.
Missing the competition would have been a shock, so Bowe decided to step in. In a selfless act, Bowe, who had qualified for three races in Beijing, gave up her own spot to give it to her good friend and teammate, Jackson. Jackson, who calls Bowe a long-time friend and mentor, said that she was beyond grateful and humbled. Bowe will still be going to Beijing, as she qualified for the 1,000 and 1,500-meter competitions.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.